http://keehnphotography.blogspot.com/

Friday, June 1, 2012

1st Year Teacher: check!

Is it really over?? Is this school year actually finished? Did I really just complete my 1st year of teaching? It seems so surreal! When that bell rang today, it was ringing in my first summer as a teacher. I have had an incredible year! It's been amazing how much God has blessed me at my school; my principal, my team of teachers, new friends.

One thing I learned this year was to not let things worry me. I had to put on a total of 5 music programs this year and the day of my first program, one teacher came up to me and said, "You are the calmest music teacher I have seen on program days!" That made me feel good! I mean, there was no sense in worrying about it! The kids knew their music, nothing I could do to make it any better! I was more nervous to just speak into the microphone and say something awkward! Those kids shined and sang beautifully and were just so cute!

The best part about this year was creating my own music games and activities. I'm gonna be honest- I know people say that musicians are really creative, which, don't get me wrong, PLENTY of them are! But I am just not that creative when it comes to making things up. But I created several music games and instrument accompaniments for the students to play and they had a blast! Plus, it was fun for me to make and refreshing to have something new in my tool box!

One of the funniest things that a kid said to me (on numerous occasions- practically every single time I saw this one little kindergartner), was "Mrs. Nice I like your hair!" No matter what it looked like! In a bun, in a braid, down with a headband- this kid liked it all. Even today, on the last day of school, I saw him for 1 second, and he turned to me and said it in that little voice of his. It just made me laugh.

I'm excited for next year because the art teacher and I are going to try to collaborate and combine music and art in our classes. The 'Composer of the Month' will be in the same time period as the artist that the students are learning about. She'll play music from that time period in her classroom while the students work on their art. We also want to plan out a fine arts night at our school and have music and arts and crafts for the whole family to come and enjoy! I am getting so excited about that!

It's funny because I still sometimes feel like such a little kid at work. Who wouldn't? I get to play games and sing and teach music all day! But because I am, was a 1st year teacher, I felt sometimes like I was inferior to the other teachers, or I couldn't relate to them. Granted, most of them have been married for years and have kids. But I just have to remind myself that I know what I am doing! I know how to teach! I just had a bit of an inferiority complex goin' on... does that ever go away? I think part of it is because I still look really young. Funny story- so before school started, I was sitting on the floor in the music room going through books or something, and the PE coach walks in and looks at me for a second and asks "Oh, is your mom here?" I had to laugh because that was what I had joked about, saying that I will blend in with the kids! Well, the kids weren't even there yet! :) We still laugh about that day.

If I were to give one piece of advice to anyone about to dive into their first teaching year, I would say this: It's going to be hard, but maybe not how you think or expect. Be confident in what you know and have spent years learning and practicing and preparing. But don't be too afraid to seek help or advice. Oh, and don't stay at work for hours and hours and hours after the kids leave! Go home! And have a life! Ok, that was more than 1, but I just had to share that!

1 year ago I was applying all over the state of Texas for a job. 2 days before our wedding I was offered the elementary music teacher position at Johnson Elementary in Bryan. Get to be close to my sister and brother-in-law, and niece and nephew and LOVE my church and the friends I have there.

God is good. This year has flown by, so I'm hoping that this summer will just take it's time for me!

See you in August school!
lisa

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations!!! HOpefully next year I will by in your shoes too!

    ReplyDelete